Creating and editing your own theme file
Once you have received your order confirmation and you have activated your theme license — see How will my Aarcade themes be delivered? — you can create your own theme file from any theme in your collection. The steps in creating a theme file are:
- At your Themes page, select the base theme you wish to use. Some themes have additional variations available and these can be viewed by clicking the More link.
- Click the Install button for the theme you wish to use. This creates a new theme file in the Install section of your admin area.
- Your new theme file edit area will open automatically. Here you can name your theme file and edit all of the theme settings, e.g. colours, fonts, product grid options, etc. As you make these edits, you can save and preview them as needed. This works completely independent of your Big Cartel shop.
- Once you have finished editing your theme file, you can repeat these steps to create further theme files (if you wish to try other themes and/or settings) or you can click the Install button to install your theme file to your Big Cartel shop (see next section).
Note that you can return to the Install section of your Aarcade admin area at any time to view all of your saved theme files and edit, copy, delete or install them as needed.
Installing your theme file
You can install any of your theme files to your Big Cartel shop at any time. The steps in installing a theme file are:
- Open the edit area for the theme file you wish to install. This is done by creating a new file (as detailed above) or by clicking the install link next to one of your saved theme files in the Install section of your Aarcade admin area.
- In the theme file edit area (once you have finished editing and saving settings), click the Install button at the bottom of the page.
- Follow the guided steps to copy your theme code to your Big Cartel admin area. Note that all of your existing product and page data is preserved during these steps - see Will installing my new Big Cartel theme affect my products, pages or custom domain?
- Review the post-installation checks to complete your installation.
Once your theme is installed, our support articles will guide you in further customising your shop and content as required.
For related FAQs, refer to section Using Aarcade Themes.