Create your Facebook app and generate your ID
To apply a Facebook app ID to your Big Cartel shop, you must first generate the ID. To do this:
- Launch the Facebook developers site
- Log in to Facebook if necessary.
- Register as a developer, following the prompts provided, as necessary.
- Add a new app via the link displayed, or the My Apps menu.
- Follow the prompts to create the app, noting:
- Your platform time is Website
- Your Site URL and Mobile Site URL should be set to the same value, i.e. the address of the home page of your shop. For example: http://myshop.bigcartel.com or http://www.mydomain.com (if you have a custom domain)
- You must enter your email address where requested, otherwise you will not be able to make your app public.
- Once your Site URL, Mobile Site URL and Contact Email are entered and saved, you can skip the rest of the quick start steps.
- Make your app public via the Status & Review settings.
If you are using a custom domain, make sure that it is set up correctly. If your domain is set up incorrectly, it will cause errors with your Facebook app ID and services.
With the above steps complete, you should now see the dashboard page for your new Facebook app. Your App ID will be displayed prominently on the dashboard page.
Inserting the Facebook app ID
These instructions make use of the insert content method detailed in our support article Insert Content - Metadata and Scripts. Please read this article before proceeding.
Now that you have your Facebook app ID, you can assign it to your shop with the
fb:app_id meta tag as follows:
1. Create a page, in the Customize design > Pages area of your Big Cartel admin, with the exact title:
2. Important: Switch to HTML edit mode per How do I switch to HTML edit mode?
3. Add the
fb:app_id meta tag to the content of the
x-ic-head-code page as follow:
<meta property="fb:app_id" content="APPID">
APPID with our actual app ID. So, if our Facebook app ID is
1234567890 then we would edit the tag as follows:
<meta property="fb:app_id" content="1234567890">
4. Finally we click the Done button and then click the Save link to apply our changes.
Note that if we had already created an
x-ic-head-code for another purpose, we would go to this existing page, create newlines at the end of the page content and then paste in our meta tag. We can keep adding content, as needed, to our
x-ic-head-code page in this way.