This article is intended to help you set off on the right track with your Big Cartel store settings and products.
If you are not already logged in to your Big Cartel admin area, you can do so now at the admin subdirectory of your shop - for example:
Your Big Cartel admin area includes quick help links like this At any time, you can click the closest of these icons for more information on using a specific area of your admin.
Navigate to the Store > Settings section of your Big Cartel admin area and review all of your store settings, edit as necessary and save.
Be sure to include the following items in your review:
- Store name: The name of your site, to appear in your header, page titles and links to your site.
- Description: Enter a brief description of your site. Make it accurate and captivating as this is the description that will be displayed in Google searches when no specific page description is available. Do not use any HTML or all-caps in this description.
- Contact email: All messages sent via your shop Contact page, as well as all notifications from Big Cartel, will be sent to this email address. Double check that you have correctly entered a working email address.
- Store type: This defines the category you will be listed under in Big Cartel's store directory (see section Store Promotion below).
- Google Analytics ID: If you wish to log the traffic to your site, enter your Google Analytics code in accordance with the instructions provided.
A custom domain strengthens your brand and SEO, but can cause significant site issues and even damage SEO when applied incorrectly. When applying a custom domain:
- Never use frames to apply a custom domain, refer to Correcting a HTML frame custom domain
- To apply a custom domain correctly, refer to Big Cartel's custom domain support article
- If you have already entered a custom domain value, make sure that it is in the correct format.
The above format is incorrect because it is missing the www prefix.
The above format is correct because it includes the www prefix.
The above format is correct because it is a valid subdomain without the www prefix.
Note that the Website field - just below your custom domain field - is provided for an external web site, i.e. separate from your Big Cartel, like a WordPress blog. This setting is not used by your Aarcade theme and can be ignored.
Choose the checkout system you wish to use with your shop and follow the instructions provided. If you are using the standard off-site PayPal checkout option, note the following setting:
- PayPal email: This setting must match the email for the PayPal account that you wish to use to process your shop orders and collect customer payments. PayPal order notifications and other important PayPal alerts will be sent to your PayPal email, so be sure to update this email address here and at your PayPal account if and when necessary.
To maintain your shop’s branding through the checkout experience, the following is strongly recommended:
- When using standard off-site PayPal checkout: Log in to your PayPal account and customise your PayPal checkout page, refer to How do I customise my PayPal payment page?
- When using Seamless checkout: Use the colour and font controls in the Customize design > Customize section of your admin to ensure your checkout page matches the style of your theme as closely as possible, refer to How do I customise my Seamless Checkout payment page?
Test your shop after making changes by visiting your shop address, adding items to cart and checking out.
To ensure that you are listed in Big Cartel's store directory, navigate to the Promote > Extras admin area and upload a thumbnail image to represent your store.
When you are ready to start adding products you can navigate to the Products, noting the following:
- We strongly recommend that you establish a high quality and preferred size for your product images. These are among the most important elements in the appearance and success of your online shop. Refer to The importance of product image quality and size
- Big Cartel's product support article provides complete instructions for adding products to your shop.
- Aarcade’s Products & Categories articles include instructions for tapping into the extra product and category features of your Aarcade theme.